The Emergency Identification System for people with hidden medical conditions.
The MedicAlert Foundation is a non-profit making registered charity committed to the protection of life - a service that helps keep people alive. It is estimated that more than 20 million people in the British Isles and Ireland have a hidden medical condition which could endanger their life in an emergency, when they cannot speak for themselves - for example if they are rendered unconscious due either to an accident or to their medical condition.
MedicAlert Foundation was founded in America in 1956 by Dr M Collins after his daughter almost died from a reaction to a sensitivity test for tetanus antitoxin. The Foundation is now International. There are over 4 million people worldwide protected by MedicAlert.
In a medical emergency, it is vital for doctors and emergency services personnel to have details of pre-existing medical conditions to enable them to give the appropriate treatment.
The MedicAlert emblem, worn as a bracelet or necklet, is engraved with the wearer's special condition, their personal identification number and a 24-hour emergency telephone number. In an emergency the members medical details are available immediately to medical personnel anywhere in the world. MedicAlert is a charity which is backed by doctors' associations and patient groups and supported by the Lions organisation.
10 reasons why you should join MedicAlert:
Learn more about MedicAlert
- If you have a medical condition, you can get faster, safer treatment.
- If you have a drug allergy, you can avoid harmful or fatal reactions.
- If you take more than one medication, you can avoid negative interactions.
- If you have more than one doctor, you can make sure emergency doctors can reach your specialist.
- If you want your family notified in an emergency, they can be by your side.
- If you're a child, your parents won't worry about you when they aren't with you.
- If you're a parent, your children won't worry about you when they aren't with you.
- If you travel, you can be identified no matter where you go.
- If you have an advance directive, your wishes can be respected.
- If you want someone to speak for you when you can't, you can be treated quickly and avoid needless pain.
from their UK website
or US website